Monday 14 April 2014

Time flies when you are having fun

Its true, isn't it?  And I can't believe it has been two weeks since I last blogged.  I have been having so much fun outdoors in this gorgeous weather that my computer has been gathering dust. 

I often help at Oughtrington Community Orchard (http://www.oughtrington.co.uk/orchard/) , and they let me know that some weeding was needed on the path and vegetable beds.  I made a start by clearing the old rotted woodchip from the path to make way for an expected delivery of more.  I then weeded the rest around the bench so it will be a lovely place to sit and enjoy looking at the spring sun.

 


















I made a start weeding the asparagus beds.  We planted those a couple of summers ago, so it will be our first year for harvesting this season.  On first arrival at an outdoor spot it can be daunting looking at the work that faces you, but if the sun comes out and you can sit a while to look at the blossom and the results of your labour, you suddenly gain perspective.

A couple of weeks ago I was bemoaning the fact that although the weather is great, the temperatures aren't really high enough for seeds to germinate outdoors yet.  I went to my allotment and the weeds are making their presence felt, so it was down to weeding there too.

I left the plastic covering the beds in the hope that after the school Easter holidays I can remove it to make a late start. 

I have been visiting some of the local food traders to find out what they have available for food lovers to buy this Easter.  Hopkinsons bucher will be open on Good Friday and the Saturday.  They will have new season local lamb as well as all the other usual high quality meat.  They are one of the generous local businesses supporting our Duckrace on Easter Monday, and will be feeding the crowds with their homemade burgers again.

Nancy's deli and Sexton's have some pretty Easter themed cakes in stock.  Sexton's told me they are fervent believers in a traditional hot cross bun, which uses a fermented dough but no fruit peel.  I love it when businesses keep the true traditions alive.  If you would like some high quality UK cheese for your cheeseboard, look no further because both these outlets stock it. Nancy will be open Easter Sunday as usual for anyone popping in for a stroll around the village to get an appetite for their roast dinner.

There will be UK vegetables available at Lymm market as usual on Thursday.  They will soon be getting UK asparagus and new potatoes.  Fingers crossed they come in time for all our Easter feasts.  I have been loving their curly kale, which is ideal paired with new potatoes and local carrots with a roast dinner.  The leftovers make good bubble and squeak the next day too.

My most enjoyable foodie outing this month has been to the 10th anniversary Abbey Leys farmers market.  Can you believe it - 10 years supporting all our local farmers?  Janet and Tim had even organised a cake to celebrate.
 
It was a cracking atmosphere.  I met The Chocolate Tailor (chocolatetailor.co.uk) for the first time when I bought a pretty cranberry easter egg.  As well as the wares she brings along to the market, she can do a bespoke service, which caters to seasonal or personal interest.  Everything is made by hand from good Belgian couverture chocolate.  All ingredients are good quality and simple.
 
I am disappointed to be away for the next Lymm Artisan Market (email them at info@marketfairs.co.uk) at the Youth and Community centre on Easter Sunday, but I'm told they are doing a super job revitalising that monthly market.  I hope to catch up with them in May.
 
Lisa Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments about our blog...