Monday 3 March 2014

Farmer's markets: good value or just good fun?



I read an interesting tweet this morning that made me reflect on my morning spent at a farmer's market yesterday.  It was by a student claiming the need to buy unethically sourced fish because he couldn't afford the alternatives.  I totally agree that ethically sourced foodstuffs are often pricy, but it's what we do with them that makes them affordable.  Whilst at the monthly farmer's market at Abbey Leys yesterday I didn't just pop in quickly and buy the foods I needed to feed my family at face value because, like the student, I can't afford to.  I first wandered round the market and talked to the farmers about their produce.  There are some great bargains (and I love a bargain!) but they aren't always foods that we have experience cooking.



My first bargain was on the Little Heath Farm Shop stall.  I wanted to cook a casserole for Sunday tea.  I bought some stewing beef but supplemented it with ox cheek.  I have never used this cut of beef before, but it was fabulous after slow braising with vegetables.  I spent £9, made tonnes and will freeze the rest to feed 10 more people on Thursday in a pie (it being Great British Pie Week).  In total it will feed 14, so that is a lot less than £1 per portion.

I also visited a stall for Gazegill Organic Farm.  They had a variety of food for sale, including fish.  I bought a piece of Coley.  It wasn't cheap at £4.19, and I won't be able to just cook it to serve as it is for my family of 4.  However, if I make it into a fish pie or fish cakes, it will easily feed us all, and my conscience is intact.  The farmer's market is only on the first Sunday of the month, so I froze it to eat next week.  At just over £1 per portion, I view that meal as good value too.

Now all work and no play would make Jack (or Lisa!) a dull boy, so after we had bought all our essentials at a good price, I allowed each of my boys to pick one treat each.  One chose a stunning jelly


and the other chose garlic in chilli from a new stall, which we ate as a nibble instead of crisps later that evening.  You'll need to ask my husband about the 'snoggable' claims!


I took a final walk around the stalls before I left so I knew what to buy next time.  I'll be able to look up recipes before I return...its the 10th anniversary so I'll definitely be back to show my appreciation to these hard-working farmers and all they do for our local economy.  Great fun and great bargains, what more could a girl ask for on a damp Sunday morning?


Lisa Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments about our blog...