Friday 22 August 2014

Easy pickings and Local Veg at Abbey Leys

Whilst Lisa normally does all of the work blogging and promoting the food produced in around Lymm, she is not alone in her love of all things tasty and local. She has kindly let me loose on the blog, so I can tell you about my local food adventures too.

First things first though - Last time she posted, Lisa mentioned the FarmStart Manchester and Manchester Veg People, supplying Abbey Leys Farm. Janet has been on recently to let us know that there are locally grown onions, carrots and courgettes available now at the shop, along with all the normal veg and goodies they sell. I'm thinking rare breed pork sausages (also sold at Abbey Leys) with some of the onions, nicely caramelised. Maybe I'll even go for some buttery carrot mash. The weather we have been having over the last few days is already make me think of hearty winter food!

Very berry!

In the last couple of day I went for a walk with my four year old, a friend and her two young children. My friend (another Lisa!), has an annual tradition of going blackberry picking. Even though I have lived in a house backing on to the TPT for 7 years, I have never noticed the vast quantities of berries. Lisa opened my eyes!

After about half an hour of being waist and shoulder deep in prickly bushes, only a few metres from the Star pub, we had two large boxes of blackberrys between us. We would have had three, had the kids not been eating every other berry! I'm promised that with a few of the cooking apples out of our garden, the berries will make a very tasty crumble.....

There are still plenty of berries out there if you fancy getting some for yourself???

Andy Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments about our blog...