Thursday 16 October 2014

Moss Brow Farm

Last week I had the pleasure of visiting Moss Brow Farm (Paddock Lane, Warburton WA13 9TJ).  I haven't been before because living at the other end of Lymm means I rarely travel down that road.  The first picture is dark because the sun was shining directly into the road that day!






There is a good range of fruit & vegetables, eggs, honey and some marmelade.  Like my other favourite farm shops, they stock as much of their own produce as  is growing in that season (in this case - potatoes, cauliflowers and cabbages), buy local produce directly from other farmers, then top up with items from further afield at the wholesale market to make a full range available all year round. Whilst it would be lovely to shop for local fruit and vegetables all year round, the truth is that in our climate we simply can't grow a wide enough range to satisfy demand

As the Cleggs showed me round their shop, it was clear they were proud to stock a lot of their own produce, and to support their neighbours because most of the stunning vegetables there were local...some more unusual than others.



The thing I liked best about Moss Brow was the value for money. I was about to leave the shop having bought much more than I intended, when a man came in to buy the deal advertised at the gate - '2 caulis for £1'.  My jaw literally dropped.  I was compelled to buy what I can only describe as the 2 biggest cauliflowers I have ever seen.  They were 30cm wide.  I gave one to a friend, who had to remove a shelf from her fridge to accommodate it.

They will have local sprouts soon, so bear them in mind for vegetables to go with your roast dinners. The shop is easy to find, because it is over the read from the Saracen's Head pub and near the corner where you turn to go to Dunham Massey.  Just make sure you take plenty of large bags!

Lisa Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments about our blog...