Wednesday 29 January 2014

Getting thrifty as energy prices rise



We had an Indian leg of lamb recipe the night before  (Madhur Jaffrey's whole leg of lamb in a spicy yoghurt sauce - a real show stopper) , and I made sure I held a bit back before the hoards wolfed the lot.  I used that to make a quick lamb pilau with mushrooms, almonds, raisins and frozen peas.  As the oven was on, I used my favourite Mary Berry recipe for traybakes to do a quick chocolate sponge.  They cooked in about the same time. 

There was some vegetable tikka left over from last night too.  All in all, a lovely meal which fed the family quickly and cheaply, and a chocolate cake for later with no extra energy consumed. 

I corrupted a Madhur Jaffrey recipe to make the pilau, and it turned out well.  Not the prettiest dish, but tasted great, with moisture provided by some yoghurt and a sprinkle of water.   I used a few whole spices, which made it seem authentic: cloves, cardamom, black pepper, cumin and coriander.

If the speed of consumption is a judge of a meal, then this one was a big success!
Lisa Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments about our blog...