Friday 31 January 2014

British beauties

I was at Lymm market yesterday and picked up both these two lovely British cabbages for less than £2.

We were having pot roast gammon for tea, so I chose the savoy to steam alongside that.

The other is a King cabbage.  It has lovely almost iridescent purple outer leaves and very pale green ones inside.  It is a good all rounder because the inner leaves are almost as sweet as a white cabbage, so can be used raw in the same way.  I prefer this to a white cabbage because I find it hard to eat a whole white one without tiring of it...its a lot to get through isn't it?!

The stall also had sacks of leeks for £2, so I'll be hitting the cookery books today to find alternative ideas to the archetypal leek and potato soup. 

Lisa Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments about our blog...